Sunday 14 October 2012

How to Detangle Natural Hair

Source

Mastering the art of detangling is an important breakthrough for a new natural because it breaks down the myth that Afro hair is unmanageable.  Yes, Afro hair is easy to manage when you know how to do it. Developing an effective detangling routine also contributes towards retaining length. The purpose of detangling is to ensure that hair strands do not clump together creating irreversible knots.
My hair is super dry and fine making it highly prone to breakage.  Therefore I decided to use the finger detangling method which works brilliantly for me. I rarely use combs to detangle or style my hair. My fingers turned out to be a very efficient comb!

 So what are the basics of natural hair detangling?
Ø  Always spray water onto your hair in order to add moisture and make it pliable.
Ø  Part hair into sections and detangle each section in turn.
Ø  Use your favourite oil and or conditioner to add slip to the hair. This makes separating the hair strands easier and helps to minimise breakage.
Ø  Then gently detangle your hair starting from the ends working up to the roots.  
Ø  Once all sections have been detangled wash your hair.

You can find a tutorial on finger detangling dry hair here. Here’s another one for variety.

I use coconut oil and Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner to detangle.

You can also find a tutorial on detangling wet hair here

Remember the above information should be used as a rough guide. You need to observe the characteristics of your hair and use your intuition to figure out what works best for you. For example my hair is short so I do not feel the need to wash it in sections. In fact I tried this and noticed that doing so actually made my hair tangle. I detangle prior to washing and this is enough. I do not repeat the process whilst washing it. Post wash my hair requires minimal detangling. My experience of detangling to date has been fairly easy and not too time consuming.

Useful steps for easy detangling
Ø  Be gentle with your hair.
Ø  Use wide tooth combs or opt for finger detangling if it works for you.
Ø  Do not detangle when in a hurry as doing so leads to frustration and hair breakage due to excessive pulling.

How to minimise tangles
Ø  Untangle hair after washing before it dries.
Ø  Keep hair moisturised as dry curls tangle easier.
Ø  Keep hair in protective styles as much as possible.
Ø  If you wear your hair out, twist it or braid it in big sections before going to bed.
Ø  Thoroughly untangle hair prior to creating a new lasting hair style such as twists, cornrows etc.

 Naturals are there detangling tips that you can share with me?
 I hope this post is helpful Nogai. Let me know how you get on.
Marisa x.  


No comments:

Post a Comment